Assalamualaikum wbt.

Syawal 2

Assalamualaikum wbt.

Today we went to visit one of Malaysian kakaks here. I have never known her personally, but the good tradition of us, Malaysians, is that Syawal is the month whereby we visit each other (AND the month of food =,=) has really given me the opportunity to get to know her

If you're wondering why I started writing again after months, it's because of this kakak has inspired me to write.

It's amazing how Eid has driven me to get to know this kakak. I have never spoken to her at all. There are quite a number of Malaysians here, so yknow, of course I didn't get to know everyone. Though that may be just an excuse, I should have put extra efforts to know people. I think me being me, sometimes (read: often) I feel more comfortable sitting with people of the same age as me, the same craziness, the same shoes (not really) and I don't know. I guess that's just rapport. But I do think I should've got more involved with the community!

Okay enough of my reflections. Did I just spend the whole paragraph talking about how I should be doing better? Mann, I'm sorry I've wasted your time, readers (as if there's any reader, except my loyal silent reader- dear husband) reading that whole paragraph.

Anyway, continue with the story.

On the 1st syawal, the Malaysian community held an Eid celebration, right after Eid prayer. We came quite early, and we stayed quite a while too. But during the celebration, I sat with Maktok (a nenek), a PR (whose age almost as my mother's), the people of my age and younger, andddd the kids. Hmm, these are the people I'm comfortable being with.

While I was with the kids, there was a seven year old boy that was very interested to play with my baby. I left my baby with him (I still watched them from afar) because he was so excited. But then my baby became tired and he wanted to sleep. So the boy couldn't play with my baby. He kept coming to see if baby has woken up - so sweet of him! In the meantime, I got to know him more, asking him whose his mother is, and more details about him. Then it was time for him to go and he didn't get the chance to play with my baby anymore, so that was then it's initiated me to visit them.

Today's the first time ever, I spoke and talked to the kakak. She's an inspiration!

#SyawalUK

No comments: